My muse

Music can be as much an inspiration when writing a novel as any other muse. My playlist varies for each book I work on. Isn't that peculiar? I seem to need different music moods for different books.
     While writing Open Your Eyes, I often listened to Snow Patrol. One of my all-time Top 10 favorite songs is their ‘Chasing Cars’ – it’s just so hauntingly beautiful. And, of course, their song ‘Open Your Eyes’ was a huge inspiration – the words are very meaningful:

Open Your Eyes
by
Snow Patrol

All this feels strange and untrue
And I won't waste a minute without you
My bones ache, my skin feels cold
And I'm getting so tired and so old

The anger swells in my guts
And I won't feel these slices and cuts
I want so much to open your eyes
'Cos I need you to look into mine

Tell me that you'll open your eyes

Get up, get out, get away from these liars
'Cos they don't get your soul or your fire
Take my hand, knot your fingers through mine
And we'll walk from this dark room for the last time

Every minute from this minute now
We can do what we like anywhere
I want so much to open your eyes
'Cos I need you to look into mine

Tell me that you'll open your eyes

All this feels strange and untrue
And I won't waste a minute without you

From the album ‘Eyes Open’ – released May 2006

I think writers can learn a lot from lyrics. The way the words can at the same time be poetic and meaningful and succinct, is an art. Trust me on this. It's way more difficult to condense what you want to say into just a few words. Indeed, less IS often more.
     Of course I am referring to music where I can actually hear and understand the lyrics. I know each generation has its own favorites. I remember how my taste in music as a teenager raised the hairs on the back of my parents' necks, much the same way my kids' music does to me now.
     Yet books, like music, are universal, and bridge generation gaps. It has the power to touch people from all backgrounds and ages. There is a book out there that could ‘speak’ to each one of us.
     I also believe that the right book finds us when we are ready to read it. That is when a message in a book can unexpectedly open our eyes to new ideas.

Happy reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment